How to wrap up this autumn
Crisp autumn days are here (and rain of course) so it’s time to update our wardrobes for the colder seasons. Whether it’s finding the ultimate coat or cosying up to new knitwear looks, this autumn is full of bold colours, sweet details, and perfectly wearable prints. The trick is to find pieces that you can layer up or down depending on the weather or find versatile looks that can take you from day to evening with just a switch of accessories.
What’s trending for autumn 2021?
70’s inspiration is a huge trend for AW21, we’ve been seeing lots of details on dresses and blouses like big statement collars and vintage prints. There’s also been a huge return to gingham which is perfect if you like a more subtle way to wear prints. Knitwear is looking amazing with traditional cable knits getting a pastel make-over and chunky boots are everywhere right now, they’re the perfect way to add a little edge to a dress for evening. For your top layer, aviator jackets are the go-to look of the season and they look great worn over midi-dresses and your favourite jeans.
What are the best layering pieces?
As well as adding a few trends to your autumn wardrobe, it’s always good to have those fall-back pieces that just always work year after year. We’ve picked out or top five looks for effortless cold-weather layering and they’re staples that you can wear on repeat.
This piece is a true autumn staple – with a relaxed, easy fit you can wear this over everything from a chunky roll-neck, a sporty hoodie or a crisp white tee. Whether you live for leggings or you’re always in your favourite mom jeans, the shacket has got you covered. One of our favourite ways to wear it this season is over a black hoodie with faux leather utility joggers and crisp white runners. It’s that easy walk-in-the-park look that makes us crave a pumpkin latte and a catch-up.
It’s always worth investing in a great black roll-neck jumper in a close fit, it really is a cold-weather saviour. You can layer it under everything from a dress to a denim shirt and it always looks chic and effortless. You can even wear it with your tailoring to give your work wardrobe a boost or dress it down with joggers. It’s probably going to be the most hard-working piece in your wardrobe. We’ve seen it layered under a slip dress and chunky boots for evening, just add a statement bag and chunky ankle boots.
When the weather turns cold it’s easy to fall back into comfort mode with hoodies, joggers, and oversized knits. But having just one beautiful, tailored coat can transform your whole look while keeping you nice and cosy. Even worn over a simple fitted knit and slim-fit jeans, these coats can really up-level your style game and give your casual dressing a sophisticated feel.
We’re all for one-and-done dressing, cold mornings aren’t the best time to be planning an outfit so it’s great to have a piece on stand-by that you can just throw on and go. This longer length version looks amazing with some heavy-duty boots, just add some gold accents with your jewelry and pick out a bold printed bag and you’re done. For weekends we’ll be wearing this with relaxed kicks and a faux-fur gilet (messy down-time bun optional!)
You may not be a tailoring kind of dresser but hear us out. Sometimes a dress needs a little lift, or your day-to-day denim needs an evening make-over. Slip a blazer over the top of almost any outfit and it’s immediately transformed. With a warm chocolate brown tone and a tactile velvety finish, this blazer will be your best friend in no time. Try wearing it over a classic roll-neck sweater, add a statement skirt and knee-high boots and you’ve got yourself the perfect autumn outfit.
Autumn layering hacks
Cold-weather dressing shouldn’t be tricky but it’s often a pay-off between feeling cold and bulking up. We’ve put together a mini guide to getting the balance right.
- Thin on the inside and thick on the outside, for example you should never wear a bulky knit under a thin shirt, but a slim fitted knit under a shacket looks amazing
- Don’t ignore your summer dresses, they can add a bit of colour to your look – just add a turtle-neck or shirt underneath to make them autumn ready
- Jump into a jump-suit – these were made for easy layering. Again, just get creative with tees, thin knits, and relaxed shirts.
- The classic sweater and button-down shirt combo are the easiest go-to look and always gives you a preppy, polished feel
- Experiment with prints – a timeless Breton stripe goes perfectly with a floral, and it’s a great way to keep your look feeling bright on dark mornings
- Dare to wear drousers – yes, it’s a thing. Take a midi shirt dress and layer some wide-leg jeans or trousers underneath. It’ll give you that extra layer and some extra fashion points while you’re at it.
- Use a sweater as a scarf – we’ve been seeing this look a lot and it’s a great way to add some extra texture to a tee and biker combination. Just drape your sweater round your shoulders and tie at the front.
- Three visible layers maximum – this rule will keep your look less bulky. Think a white tee, denim shirt and overcoat.
- Do a double coat, this may sound crazy but a denim jacket under a long length coat looks sweet, just add jeggings and runners.
- Stick to the triangle rule, wider silhouettes on top and slimmer on the bottom or vice versa, this will help you stay streamlined.
So, there you have it, your guide to staying chic and cosy all season long!